One of the latest technological advances in orthodontics we use at Sonria, are the Damon® System braces. The Damon system helps us to utilise efficient treatment mechanics that use less force, helping you achieve outstanding results in a much simpler way.
Unlike the conventional fixed bracket that require elastics or metal clips to hold the wire in place, Damon brackets use a passive slide mechanism that allows them to move freely, while maintaining the light, high-technology, shape-memory wire within the brackets (a self-litigating braces solution). This method of orthodontics means that there is a lack of friction and pressure, resulting in a faster, more comfortable treatment for you, in far less fewer appointments. To place into perspective, other fixed braces treatments require patients to return every four to six weeks for regular adjustments. However, patients who opt for Damon System braces tend to come back every ten to twelve weeks, depending on each particular case.
Advantages of Damon braces:
- Helps both you, as a patient, and our orthodontist by reducing the need for auxiliary appliances and/or invasive procedures;
- The lack of elastic ties to hold the archwires means that there will be less accumulation of plaque – that horrible build up that gives rise to periodontal problems;
- More aesthetically pleasing because they can be virtually invisible;
- A comparative study found that patients with Damon System braces completed their treatment 7.2 months earlier than those with traditional braces;
- The same above study showed patients needed, nearly, half as many appointments to have the appliances adjusted manually; and
- Patients report 60% less discomfort with Damon braces, with less friction, which avoids erosion and deterioration of teeth.
Damon braces are designed to be discreet, comfortable, and easy to keep clean. Damon Clear is the alternative clear brackets if you are image conscious and would like your orthodontic treatment to be as high-tech and unnoticeable as possible.
Estimated times of treatments can only be given by the specialist after considering your individual case. Once treatment with Damon System is complete, as with any teeth-straightening solution, a retainer is necessary to maintain the teeth’s new position. An alternative to a removable retainer, patients can opt for a bonded retainer.