Here at Sonria, we are big fans of Invisalign® braces. Invisalign was launched in 2000 and is responsible for straightening over 5 million smiles, worldwide!
Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligners to gradually move your teeth and straighten your smile. The braces are custom-made using ‘transparent polycrystalline alumina’ – a smooth, transparent material developed by NASA. The aligners work by placing gentle sustained pressure on specific teeth, moving them little by little into their new desired position.
Each aligned should be work for two weeks, before you are due to move onto the next one in the series. Along the way, we will keep a close eye on your progress to make sure your teeth are moving correctly and in the right direction. We advise that you wear your aligner for 20-22 hours a day, only taking them out for eating, drinking, and to brush and floss your teeth.
Invisalign can help with various problems, making this a multi-talented brace:
- Crowded and crooked teeth
- Wide spacing between teeth
- Crossbites – where one or more of your upper teeth bite on the inside of your lower teeth
- Under bites – where your lower teeth sit in front of your upper teeth
- Deep bites – where your upper teeth overlap your bottom teeth (some overlap is desirable).
When we say ‘clear aligners’, we mean they are completely transparent, so they are really inconspicuous.
It’s this convenience that makes Invisalign so popular. You can carry on enjoying all your favourite meals, without the fear of something getting stuck in your brace or staining your teeth. Best of all it’s so discreet and comfortable that when you’re wearing your aligners you’ll soon forget they are there.
As with any teeth-straightening treatment a retainer is necessary to maintain the straighter position of your teeth. If you don’t want to wear a removable retainer, you can have a bonded retainer placed. There are a variety of options that you can choose from according to your personal preference and situation.
Not sure whether Invisalign is the correct solution for you? At Sonria we use ClinCheck® software that lets you see how your smile should look at the end of your treatment.
Top tips when using and caring for your Invisalign® aligners:
- Wear your aligners for between 20 and 22 hours a day to get the best results from your treatment.
- Please follow the advise in the video for putting in and taking out Invisalign aligners.
- Clean your aligners twice a day when you brush your teeth, using antibacterial unscented hand soap, and a dedicated toothbrush. Thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water.
- Treat them to weekly soaks using ‘retainer brite’. Make sure you do not use hot water or your aligners could change shape!
- Remove your aligners when drinking. Although your aligners do not usually have the chance to discolour, they aren’t immune to stains!
- When not using the aligners, ensure you store it in the box provided and take good care of it. Not only does this prevent them from getting lost but it is also for hygienic reasons. As you know, they are expensive and you may have to pay for a replacement.
- Whatever you do, avoid wrapping your aligners in tissue paper. Most aligners that are thrown away have been wrapped in a napkin at lunchtime!
- If you misplace one of your aligners, get in touch with us as soon as you can. In the meantime, wear an aligner from your previous step to stop your teeth moving too far out of line.