Hyperactivity of facial muscles can often result in the development of deep lines in the skin. Specialised injections temporarily paralyse these muscles which cause wrinkles, giving the face a more relaxed appearance. In the long-term, the wrinkles become smoother or can disappear altogether.
Anti-wrinkle injections are the UK’s most popular cosmetic treatments to the reduction of wrinkles. The process concerns the administering of natural occurring protein called btx – commonly referred to as ‘Botox’. When injected directly into a muscle, the toxin causes the muscle to relax, smoothing out wrinkles.
Wrinkle softening injections work in a surprisingly simple way… btx acts by blocking acetylcholine – the chemical that transmits electrical impulses that cause muscle contractions. When injected directly to a muscle, it acts by temporarily paralysing it and, therefore, has a temporary effect on the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Full results start becoming visible in 3 to 4 days, with the full effect being achieved in two weeks. The effect of these injections tends to last and last for 3 to 6 months, depending on various factors. Softening wrinkle injections can be safely repeated so you can maintain your youthful look.
BTX can be used to treat various types of line and wrinkles on the face:
- Bunny lines (nose)
- Crow’s feet (eyes) – These notorious lines on the corners of the eyes are the hallmark of the ageing face. Crows feet can develop in a person’s late 20s or early 30s.
- Forehead – When you elevate your eyebrows, you may notice a few horizontal lines are formed on your forehead. These, too, can be treated by BTX injections. However, please note that if BTX is misused on the forehead and not injected by a trained professional, eye brows can sag.
- Glabella (frown lines) – These are the vertical lines between the eyebrows, which are sometimes referred to as the “elevens”, and are caused by three strong facial muscles. Softening the vertical frown lines giving you a welcoming look as opposed to a serious or angry expression.
- Marionette lines (mouth to chin)
- Smoker’s lines (mouth lines)
- Sad mouth lines at the corner of the mouth
- Jowl treatments to tighten the jaw line
- Nefertiti lift to lift the neck and jaw line
- Softening of décolletage region
Frequently asked questions:
What is involved in the treatment?
The treatment involves multiple small injections in to the facial muscles, which causes the muscles to freeze, giving you a rejuvenating your look.
Are anti-wrinkle injections the only way to soften wrinkles?
No, there are a number of ways depending on the extent of the wrinkles. Lighter wrinkles can benefit from derma roller and professional peels, while deeper wrinkles may benefit from facial fillers. This will be covered in your consultation.
What is the typical procedure time?
The expected procedure is approximately 30 minutes.
What is the expected recovery time?
The expected recovery time is 24 hours.
When do the results become visible and how long does the treatment last?
The results should become visible within approximately 14 days and typically lasts three to six months.
Could there be complications and what are the possible risks?
The possible, common complications of botulinum toxin injections are bruising, infection, swelling, and temporary loss of function in nearby muscles.
Other less common risks of treatment include:
- flu-like symptoms for the first 24 hours post-treatment;
- temporary weakness and drooping of your facial features; and
- If treatment is repeated too often, your body may develop resistance to the toxin.
In rare cases, serious problems can develop, including blurred or double vision (if the area around the eyes is injected) and breathing difficulties (if the neck area is injected).
Can anyone have this treatment?
No, this procedure is not suitable to pregnant or breast feeding ladies, or those aged 18 years or younger.